WRITING COMPELLING WEB CONTENT
Good site content is king to both visitors and search engines alike. It should never be an afterthought but a carefully planned and executed requirement using a style congruent with the company’s brand. Good content is as important, if not more depending on your target market, as images, video or flashy multimedia presentations.
Planning your copy in terms of outline, structure, tone, style etc. is equally important as all the other aspects of your site design. It keeps you focussed because it imposes discipline and acts a reference point to keep the content writing on track and on brand.
Good verbal communication skills are not the same as online writing skills. Equally white paper or cumbersome document writing skills are not appropriate online unless you are writing exclusively for an audience that requires that weight of content, detail and format e.g. government agencies, legal or medical document content for people in those target markets or professions.
People don’t read web pages the same way they read books or magazines which means you can quickly loose readers if your material is not good and well presented.
Good online content should:
• Be informative and relevant
• Communicate customer benefits
• Use short easy to read sentences and paragraphs
• Be structured with clear headings to break up content
• Keep your language friendly and informal (unless otherwise required)
• Focus on the “you” the reader and not “me” the writer
• Be factually correct and succinct
• Use good grammar, punctuation and correct spelling
• Carefully proof read before publication
• Provide good quality, fresh, new, unique material
Online content should preferably avoid the following:
• Avoid using industry jargon or terminology a layperson can’t understand
• Avoid over optimising text, you’re writing for humans not search engine spiders
• Avoid unsubstantiated, overt sales pitches (unless otherwise required)
• Avoid reprinting articles already published elsewhere, although reference can be made with permission of course.
In essence when writing good content for the web you should focus on the reader, their needs, their wants, their problems and how you can help them. By focussing on your reader, why they should care and the benefits they can receive from your brand, you will engender goodwill between you/your brand and your potential customer which becomes the fertile grounds for building a positive lasting relationship.
MARKETING YOUR BRAND ONLINE
Internet marketing, also referred to as i-marketing, web-marketing, online-marketing, or e-Marketing, is the marketing of products or services online to generate leads, build brand loyalty and produce profitable returns.
It’s the process of developing target market awareness of your brand online through:
• SEO (search engine optimisation)
• Social networks
• Email marketing (ezines, enewsletters, eshots etc)
• Mobile phone marketing
• Mobile phone or device specific apps e.g. iPad applications
together with other marketing activities to achieve stronger brand awareness, and ongoing target market engagement with your brand, to ultimately achieve a more successful and profitable return on your online investment.
The marketing channels you use are based on what’s most appropriate to your brand, your target market and your online strategy. It’s extremely important to ensure that what ever medium or combination of mediums you use, that they are congruent with your core brand offering and consistent across all platforms.
Activities known as Black Hat marketing are considered unethical, dishonest and should be avoided. This is a form of marketing using subterfuge, deception or less then truthful methodologies to drive traffic to your website to achieve higher search rankings.
Typically it breaks search engine rules and regulations e.g. involves spam, keyword stuffing, invisible text, cloaking within search engine pages or routing users to pages they didn’t initially request. It generally creates a poor user experience which is less then conducive to building positive brand engagement with your market. It’s also actively discouraged by search engines such as Google and can result in your site being penalized or blacklisted if used.
ANALYTICS – MEASURING YOUR ONLINE PERFORMANCE
Web analytics is the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of internet data to develop better understanding of site performance and optimization of web use, to generate improved results and more profitable returns.
It includes information such as:
• number of visitors to your website
• traffic source overview (search engines, referring sites, direct traffic)
• keywords used to find your site and their relevancy
• number of page visits
• content overview with list of pages visited
• conversion rates tracking number of leads or sales achieved
• length of time spent on your site
• origin of visitors to your site
• bounce rates (visitors who leave your site rather then continue to peruse other pages within your site)
Key performance indicators are determined by what activity matters most to you / your brand as a measure of success. It’s only when you know what data matters most, can you then use it as a tool to measure the success of your website. It takes the guess work out of your online marketing.
DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT
At Persona Design we develop creative and technical solutions that enable companies to successfully do business online. Great web design and development combines all of the items mentioned above:
• Online Strategy
• Compelling Copy
together with a blend of . . .
• Strong Branding
• Powerful Ideas
• Stunning Design
• Arresting Images
• Clear Navigation
• Free Quality Downloads
• Logical Site Architecture
• Clear Calls to Action
• Excellent Project Management
Great web design and development also requires excellent:
• Planning & Management
• Standards Compliant Coding
• Software Development Skills
All to achieve maximum natural search engine rankings, visitor attraction and sales/enquiries conversion rates. This is applicable whether your requirement is a full e-commerce website, brochure website, landing page or micro site.
Whether you want to streamline your business to improve efficiencies or provide your customers with added value functionality, we can develop bespoke software solutions and web applications to meet your specific business requirements. The results, websites and apps that look and feel great.
TRAINING, MENTORING & SUPPORT
We can provide training and mentoring for your organisation inhouse on a one-to-one or group format in either half day or full day workshops with a very hands-on approach to learning. Our training is typically tailor made to suit our clients needs.
If you would like further information on any of the services or items mentioned above please don’t hesitate to get in touch, we’d love to talk.
You can call us at T: +353 1 8322724 or email us at E: email@example.com